Did you know that February is National Children’s Dental Health Month? To celebrate, the team at Overland Park Dentistry put together some helpful tips, plus an activity pack, for your children to learn the importance of oral health.
Dental Health Tips for Your Kiddos
Educating your children on dental hygiene is extremely important for a healthy smile and teeth. Share these tips with them:
- Looking for a healthy smile? Brush your teeth for two minutes, twice a day!
- Healthy foods to help with a sparkling smile: apples, carrots, broccoli, celery, cabbage, cauliflower, grapes, yogurt, mangos, squash, tomatoes, melons, bananas, water.
- Visit your dentist two times a year!
- Don’t eat a lot of sugar.
- Wear a mouthguard when playing sports.
- Be sure to floss daily.
- When brushing your teeth, don’t forget to brush your tongue.
- Drink water instead of pop.
How to Brush Teeth
When brushing your teeth with your children, share these helpful tips on proper brushing:
- Hold toothbrush at a 45-degree angle
- Move along the gum line in a back and forth motion
- Brush both the front and back of each tooth, plus the top
- Don’t forget to brush the tongue
Activity Pack for Kids
To help them learn these tips, the American Dental Association put together this interactive activity book. It’s full of coloring, games, stories, and more. Do your children a favor and print this out for them this month! You will both be glad that you did.